Tax ID number?
Brian Wilhelm asks,
We just started an investment club at the beginnig of this month.  We were curious about the tax implications for this coming year, most  notably the Tax ID number.  Is the Tax ID number something we need to apply for now, before we begin to invest?  If so, which form(s) do we need to use to do so?
Good question Brian,
Yes, you'll need a Tax ID (EIN) for your club prior to opening any accounts or making any investments in the name of the club.   Getting a Tax ID (EIN) is easy.  To obtain an EIN you will need Form SS-4.   Simply contact the IRS or go to the IRS web site at to obtain Form SS-4.   Complete instructions are available on the Form SS-4.